Sunday, May 17, 2009

Inland Hurricane

On May 8th we had what experts have been calling an Inland Hurricane. They are extremely rare. I had never heard of such a thing but after living through it I won't argue with experts. I have a few pictures but no real great ones. Our camera battery was dead and since power was out we had to come up with a creative way to charge it. After a few days we remembered we had a plug in we could connect to our car.
This tree fell across 19th st next to our friends the Mclaughlan's. We had escaped our house to stay in their basement during the major part of the storm.
I was glad we did because this tree fell on our house. It looks like the roots have been rotting for a while. The Tree was still alive but apparently not that strong. Thank goodness it only went through the roof and not the interior ceiling. I wish I would have got a picture before they cut it off and up.

Here is the damage it did. At least it didn't break our windows. Our land lady is going to replace at least this half of the roof. She might go ahead and do the whole roof. I just have to say I love my land lady. When other people had to wait for days to get tree's off their houses, my land lady had a people over first thing the next morning. That was on Saturday. Then first thing Monday morning she had her workers over to inspect and clean up. This may not seem like much but for a woman who has over twenty properties to care for not to mention her own I think it's a great deal. Especially since all of them at least had down tree's if not structural damage like ours. So here's to the greatest Land Lady we've ever had.
All and all we are doing well. Our power is on and we are returning to some semblance of normality.(if we were normal before this)


1 comment:

Savannah said...

That sounds scary. I'm glad the damage wasn't worse.