I Love my body!

No I'm not Vain. I decided I needed to appreciate it more. I once was in a class where the lady talked about how much she had grown to dislike her body because of how it looked. Then a few weeks after her fifth child was born she was standing in the shower looking at how most of her body was going south when she realized how incredible her body was. It had given her four beautiful boys and had just given her a girl. It had been battered, beaten and abused with work, child birth, nursing, and time and yet here it was still going strong. Lately I've been hating the way I look. I think in a way I probably am a little vain because I sometimes wish I had the figure of a 20 year old instead of what I have...The figure of a very matronly mom. It's not just the weight that has been hard though. I
acquired lots of stretch marks that make my skin look loose and flabby. I think that may be the hardest part because stretched out, scared skin can never go back.
Anyway last night when I was praying I was thinking of all the wonderful things in my life. The four that top the charts are the reason I have all these stretch marks and the little extra weight I carry. It hit me that I wouldn't trade my beautiful boys for anything in the world. That's why I love my body. It made it through so many trials of life. So maybe it doesn't look great but I think it looks Real good for having four children in six years. So Thank you my body. In the future I will be much kinder and take better care of you. Thank you Heavenly Father for giving me a body and I'm sorry I haven't appreciated it more.
For all of you who are reading think about what your body has done for you... Not what it hasn't done, or what you want it to do but how much it has got you through. Appreciate that and love what God has so
graciously given you. After you think about it a bit leave me a comment about why you appreciate your body.
7 comments:
I appreciate my body because . . .
It enables my to swim,
play tennis,
run around,
swing,
do almost everything! (In the future it will help me have kids, too)
I probably don't appreciate my body as much as I should, but I don't have many complaints either. I just wish I didn't have to deal with the affects of PCOS! If you want more details I could email you privately.
But I do love how my husband constantly lets me know that he still likes my body.
I must admit, I don't have stretch marks after 4 kids, but I am getting wrinkles/bags under my eyes, which I am trying hard not to be sad about. One night when I was telling Chris about it, Chris told me that he loves to see the dark circles/bags, ect. because it shows the sacrifices I make for our family (i.e. no sleep!) I need to think of things more in that way. Thank goodness for great husbands who remind us of things like that!
How true it is that wrinkles,sags, bags and extra pounds blind us to our true potential. I agree with you both that it's wonderful to have husbands that love us even when we don't really love ourselves. Thank you for commenting.
I had a friend in my ward just tell me that she made a conscious choice to not say anything negative about her body in front of her kids. She doesn't want to set the wrong example to her kids, (especially her daughter) about how we should feel about our bodies. That really impressed me since I make jokes all the time about my wide caboose at home. So that is something I am working on doing while I do not have a child that understands me yet.
Thank you for helping to remind me how incredible the human body is. I have been working out pretty hard for several weeks and my body is just not responding the way I would like it to, but you are right that, my body is getting older but it still can do amazing things. Thank you for the reminder. Love ya.
That was a great post. Thank you for putting it on there Teah. What a great reminder. I am thankful that I am not in SEVERE pain all of the time like some people are!
Teah! I wondered if you blogged and then I found you. Glad you are appreciating yourself more I feel the same way. I think you should email me so we can catch up
courtneyschriever@yahoo.com
Chat later roomie!
Post a Comment