Thursday, May 27, 2010

Polyphemus Moth

So we found this guy in our raspberries about a week ago. I know you can't tell from the picture but his wing span is about five inches. He's a huge silkworm moth technically called a Polyphemus Moth . I found it interesting when I started searching that there were no records of them in our county in Illinois so I was able to be the first to file a record. There were actually two moths there at the time the children found them but by time I got my camera only this one ( which was the larger) was left. I wouldn't have taken a picture of the other one anyway because she was actively laying eggs. I have to say it was one of the most disgusting things I've seen and I don't suggest watching it. Otherwise it was a neat experience to see such a big moth and to actually have gotten a picture to record.

3 comments:

The Stoddard Show said...

cool! we went to the zoo yesterday and said hi to a giraffe. love nature!

Lisa said...

I hope those eggs don't hatch and destroy all your flowers! And . . . you Mother's Day flowers are beautiful!

Lisa said...

WOW!

Annie